We break down the most frequently asked questions about mattresses and dish our top tips for buying a mattress!
Most Frequently Asked Questions
- How long should my mattress last?
While the general recommendation is to replace your mattress every 7 to 10 years, we believe that it all depends on the care, comfort, and support. If your mattress is sagging, soiled, stinky, or no longer serving you a comfortable night’s sleep, it’s time to invest in a new one.
You may also need to replace your mattress if you experience changes to your health or physical well-being, where you would benefit from a softer or firmer mattress.
- What different mattress sizes are available?
- Twin - 38” x 75”
- Twin XL - 38” x 80”
- Full - 54” x 74”
- Queen - 60” x 80”
- King - 76” x 80”
- California King - 72” x 84”
One common misconception is that a California King is wider when, in fact, it is more narrow yet longer than a traditional King-sized bed.
- What are the different types of mattresses?
- Coil Mattresses
- Spring Mattresses
- Foam Mattresses
- Hybrid Mattresses
- Air Mattresses
- What is a hybrid mattress?
A hybrid mattress combines foam with an innerspring system to create a unique support system that balances old and new technology. Generally speaking, these mattresses are a great solution for all types of sleepers, as it offers a balance between being too firm or too soft.
- What’s the difference between soft and firm mattresses?
The main difference is how they feel to the touch. A soft mattress tends to feel plush and sink beneath the body. A firm mattress is just that! It’s firm to the touch and provides more of a sleeping surface as opposed to contouring around the body.
Not sure which one is right for you? Check out this blog to learn more about what type of mattress is best for your sleeping position, body type, and more.
- Do firm mattresses get softer?
All mattresses tend to get a little softer during the initial break-in period of 60 days. They also may get softer over time through general wear and tear. However, if you are not satisfied with the firmness or softness of your mattress within the initial break-in period, a different mattress may better suit your needs.
- What type of mattress is right for my sleep style?
Side sleeper, snorer, hot sleeper, and the list goes on…. But what type of mattress is best for you? There is a lot of expert advice on which mattress is best for various sleep styles including our blog:
How to Choose the Best Mattress by Sleep Position
While it’s good to read up on the type of mattress that may benefit you best, our HSD Sleep Map takes the guesswork out of it for you! This cutting-edge technology uses sensor software to create your individual body pressure map. In just 5 minutes, we’ll have your very own sleep profile that will help our expert team select the perfect mattress for you. (And, yes, it works with a partner!)
You can learn all about our HSD Sleep map here.
- What is an adjustable base? Why would I need one?
Adjustable bases are mattress foundations that can be easily adjusted to benefit different sleep needs and preferences. They can be a game-changer for getting a great night’s sleep each and every night! Adjustable bases may help with snoring, lower-body injuries, circulation issues, pressure relief, and assistance getting out of bed, among many other benefits. They are also a great option for partners who have different sleeping preferences.
We’re thrilled to have this latest innovation in sleep support available at HSD! Come check out our Tempur-Pedic Ergo Smart Base and learn more about how this incredible technology can take your sleep to the next level.
- What brands do you carry?
Head Springs Depot proudly carries hand-selected models from America’s top mattress brands, including Stearns & Foster, Sealy, Tempur-Pedic, and Southerland.
- Do I need to use a mattress cover?
Yes! Mattress covers or protectors serve as an extra line of defense and protect your mattress from sweat, dirt, bacteria, stains, pet dander, and more. It also protects your warranty, and therefore your investment. In fact, we require the purchase and use of a mattress protector when you buy a mattress from us.
- Do I need to clean and rotate my mattress?
Even with a mattress cover, you’ll want to regularly vacuum your mattress with a hand-held attachment to catch any dust or allergen build-up that may have found its way through. For some mattress types, cleaning with warm water and mild detergent then allowing the area to thoroughly dry is recommended for any spills or stains that take place directly on the mattress.
As for turning, it is recommended you rotate your mattress 180 degrees every 3 months to help even out general wear and tear. Check out this blog for additional mattress care tips and, as always, consult your model’s care instructions for the best recommendations for your mattress.
- How long does it take to break in a mattress?
It takes roughly 30 days for you and your mattress to get to know each other. Your body needs about 30 days to adjust to the change of a new mattress after you likely slept on your previous mattress for years.
- What if I don’t like my mattress?
Here at Head Springs Depot, we offer a 60 Day Mattress Comfort Guarantee to ensure you love your investment. If, after this break-in period, you aren’t completely satisfied, you can exchange your mattress up to 60 days from delivery.
6 Mattress Buying Tips
- Take Measurements: Measure head to foot and side to side to ensure the size mattress you desire will comfortably fit into you space.
- Set Your Budget: Determine your overall budget and inquire about financing options that may assist you in purchasing the mattress that will best suit your needs.
- Choose Brands with Staying Power: These are brands that are veterans in the mattress industry that have mastered thier craftsmanship and are experts in customer satisfaction.
- Try Before You Buy: While it’s tempting to purchase a mattress with a few simple clicks online, we highly suggest visiting our showroom where you can check it out for yourself. For one, most mattress review sites are owned or financially influenced by mattress retailers and manufacturers, making them an untrustworthy source. But even if you do come across unbiased reviews, only YOU know if the mattress feels right to your touch.
You also have the benefit of using our HSD Sleep Map when you visit our showroom for a truly unbiased shopping experience. Win-win!
- Check the Trial and Return Policy: Regardless of where you decide to purchase your mattress, it is crucial that you understand the trial and return policy. It doesn’t matter how much research you do or how many mattress samples you lay on in a showroom; nothing compares to the true test of your first 60 days of sleeping on your new mattress.
Head Springs Depot understands the importance of this trial period which is why we offer our 60-Day Mattress Comfort Guarantee.
- Purchase a Mattress Protector: As we mentioned before, mattress protectors or covers (whatever you want to call ‘em!) are very important. Keeping your mattress in its best condition is good for your investment and your health!
Ready to take your sleep to a whole new level this year? As your middle Tennessee mattress dealer, Head Springs Depot is here to help. Visit our mattress showroom in Downtown Franklin, Tennessee and let our expert team get you on the path to great sleep each and every night.